Senate District 17 Disaster Resources


Community Foundation Storm Relief Funds 


Current Assistance Available for this Federal Major Disaster Declaration

District 17 Counties Designated for Individual Assistance: Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo
What this means: Assistance to individuals and households to repair or replace damaged property. Housing assistance available only for primary residence. Other Needs Assistance (ONA) may include transportation, childcare and medical and dental expenses. FEMA works with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) to offer low-interest disaster loans to businesses (including private non-profit organizations), homeowners, and renters with physical damage.


District 17 Counties Designated for Public Assistance: Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo
What this means: Assistance to state and local governments and certain private non-profit organizations for emergency work and debris removal.


District 17 Counties Designated for Hazard Mitigation Assistance: Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo
What this means: Assistance to state and local governments and certain private non-profit organizations for actions taken to prevent or reduce long term risk to life and property from natural hazards.


Where to go for help

Residents and business owners in Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Luis Obispo counties who sustained losses in the designated areas can apply for disaster assistance:


Disaster Assistance Process:

  • For use ONLY by people in designated federal disaster areas.
  • Be prepared to give your Social Security number, describe your losses, provide financial information, and give directions to the damaged property. 
  • If you get a busy signal, try to call in the evening after 6:00 p.m. or on the weekends when call volumes tend to be lighter.

The information you provide is put into the computer

  • You are now in the system.
  • The recovery process begins.
  • If you are unable to find the information you are seeking, call FEMA's Helpline at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). The speech or hearing impaired may call (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Refer to the application number the registrars gave you when you applied.

Make an optional visit to a Disaster Recovery Center to receive more information after you have registered by phone.

  • Here you will find local, state, federal, and voluntary agencies that may be able to assist you.

Inspector will call to schedule an appointment

  • There is NO FEE for the inspection.
  • Inspectors will set up an appointment to visit your property within a few days of application.
  • Inspectors are contractors; they are not FEMA employees, but they will have FEMA ID.

Inspector will visit damaged property

  • Be present for your scheduled appointment. 
  • They will inspect the damage, verify ownership and occupancy, and make a report. Inspectors do not determine eligibility.
  • If eligible, you will receive a housing assistance check within 7-10 days.

If eligible, housing assistance check will arrive

  • Money may be spent for housing needs.

Packet will arrive in mail

  • There may be a Small Business Administration (SBA) application enclosed.
  • You MUST fill out and return this to be eligble for any further assistance.
  • Refer to the SBA website for more information. 

To reduce future loss, consider taking steps to rebuild safer and smarter

  • Take measures to reduce losses in the future.
  • Encourage community to participate in National Flood Insurance Program NFIP).
  • Consider buying flood insurance.

Call the FEMA Fraud Hotline (1-800-323-8603) if you suspect someone is filing false damage claims

  • Make sure disaster aid goes to those who deserve it.
  • It is a violation of Federal law to file a false claim.


Individual Assistance Programs

Individuals, families and businesses may be eligible for federal assistance if they live, own a business, or work in a county declared a Major Disaster Area, incur sufficient property damage or loss, and, depending on the type of assistance, do not have the insurance or other resources to meet their needs.

To apply for Assistance for Individuals and Households, all you have to do is call the special toll-free telephone number, 1-800-621-FEMA (TTY: 1-800-462-7585) and register. Specially trained operators at one of FEMA's National Processing Service Centers will process your application.

FEMA and other federal, state, local and volunteer agencies offer disaster assistance in several forms:


Low-Interest Loans

Most, but not all, federal assistance is in the form of low interest loans to cover expenses not covered by state or local programs, or private insurance. People who do not qualify for loans may be able to apply for a cash grant.

The Farm Service Agency (FSA) and the Small Business Administration (SBA), offer low interest loans to eligible individuals, farmers and businesses to repair or replace damaged property and personal belongings not covered by insurance.


Assistance for Individuals and Households

This program, which may include cash grants of up to $25,000 per individual or household, includes:

  • Housing Assistance

    • Lodging expenses reimbursement (for a hotel or motel)
    • Rental assistance (cash payment for a temporary rental unit or a manufactured home)
    • Home repair cash grant
    • Home replacement cash grant
    • Permanent housing construction in rare circumstances
  • Other Needs Assistance
    • Medical, dental, funeral costs
    • Transportation costs
    • Other disaster-related needs


Note: Page will be regularly updated as more information is released by local, state and federal officials.